The Castle Part 3 – Custom LightPost with Statue

Finally done with that last project and I can get back to my castle. I need some lightposts, but figured why not get a statue in there too. I need about 12 of them in the level so this is a really low res mech, but it still came out OK. I kind of like it, I may to another version as an enemy where I can rig and animate him.

LightPost_and_Statue

I updated him with an emissive shader after I brought him into UDK. A very simple shader setup as you can see from the screenshot below:
Emissive_Shader_Setup

He Really adds character to the castle giving it a more imposing feel:

Statue_In_Front_Of_Castle

A detail shot of the rotting green surface:

Statue_Detail

I also used a bunch of copies of him to finish out the bridge to Nowhere that I hadn’t figured out what to do with.

Castle_UDK1

From up close it has a really eerie feel.

Alter_Of_Sacrifice

I really got a lot of use out of this model.

The Mech – Part 3 Specular Details in the Final Mesh – Free Unity Asset Download

If anybody wants the model, you can download the .FBX and Textures at this link. I packaged it specially for Unity, but if you want to use it in something else just grab the Spec Map out of the Alpha channel of the diffuse map.:

download-link

I really wanted to make this mech look like he was made of different types of metal. A shiny chrome for the joints, a dull flat iron for some of the inner parts, etc. To achieve that I made some sharp differences in my spec map. Because my UV Islands were pretty clean, I was able to get most of this done in photoshop.

Here is the final result, with the spec map below so you can see how I got it to look like that. You can really see the sharp constrasts in lightness and darkness on the map creating the illusion of different materials used in the model.

Mech_With_Spec_Map

Mech_Spec_Map

The Mech Part 2 – Low Res

So when I finished my 10 million poly super high poly model, I decimated it down with zRemesher and then split it in half.

Optimizing_The_Character

Since he is symmetrical I will get twice the resolution from the texture map by splitting him. It also makes optimizing much easier because you only have half the model to work with. I deleted a bunch of edge loops to get the polycount down further to game level. And ended up with a model that looks like this:

Scanline_Render_Low_Poly

For the Unwrap, I wanted to keep my UV islands closely following the geometry of the original model. This should be a lot easier to fix when I start cleaning it up in Photoshop.

Mech_Unwrapped

Here is my final UV Layout:

uv_map

And here is what the low poly model looks like now with the first bake out of my maps before cleanup.

Low_Res_Mech_Before_Touchup

The Mech – Part 1 – High Res

This is something I have been working on using hard surface modelling techniques. It is both my first character from absolute scratch, and first time making a hard surface model in Z – Brush. For a first model he looks OK, but the whole flow of the character isn’t there. If I ever get a chance to live my life over, I would have spent more time concepting him out and less time doing.

Mech-1

Mech-2

Mech-3

Mech-4

Mech-5